Search This Blog

Provided by SEO company.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

And down to 27

I am now down to 27 teeth. I'm not particularly thrilled about this. Since I've already posted the background story, I'll just talk about how the extraction went.

A few days ago, my gums started to swell up, and my tooth became extremely painful. I realized the time for dragging my feet was up, and if I wanted to avoid really bad news, I'd need to do something about the abscess.  So I made an appointment to have my tooth removed, as that was all I could afford.

Here's how it went.

The office was running behind when I got there, so I had even more time to think about what was about to happen. When I finally met the dentist who was going to remove my tooth, he was a really cool guy. It was the first time I can remember going to the dentist and cracking up. So, he gave me two shots of Novocaine, then moved me over to the extraction room. About 20 minutes later he gave me a few more shots of Novocaine, then he got out a different needle and tried giving the injection into the root of my tooth, then actually through the part of my tooth that broke off. It was a total of 8 shots. (My body is resistant to Novocaine, and the abscess "sucked up" anything that reached my roots.) Then he got out what looked like a flat-head screwdriver and began pushing my tooth up.

Now, a lot had happened on the past few years since I last saw the dentist. I've been run over by a car, hit by a car, bruised my ACl, and I've had a score of problems with this tooth. I have a high threshold for pain these days.

Three pushes with the screwdriver was all I could take. The dentist then had to drill into my tooth, slip it and injected more Novocaine directly into my nerve. That wasn't pleasant. It also didn't do much. I wanted to back out. I wanted to jump up and quit. I cannot tell you the relief I felt when I saw him pulling out the two bloody pieces of tooth and the hygienist who was assisting putting gauze in my mouth.

So now, I am restricted to cold, soft foods, my jaw has disappeared, and I am in love with lowertabs. At least it's all down hill from here.

If I ever need another tooth pulled, I will be sedated.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the successful extraction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds AWFUL!!! It's like my worst dentist-office nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try peanut butter chocolate smoothies. A frozen banana, scoop of peanut butter, heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder, ice cubes, and milk. I lived on them for a week after my teeth were pulled. They've got more calories and protein than a regular fruit smoothie. Oh, and they taste like a dream come true. Good luck! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete